Today, we have made something modern. Instead of pounding apples to make applesauce, we changed to slicing potatoes. Slicing potatoes by hand is hard, especially with a cheese slicer. But when you take that first. crunchy, salty bite, it becomes rewarding. When trying to fry the slices, slicing seemed easy. For awhile we were turning out only a chip a minute, but boy they were good. next time we will have to:
1. Use a bigger pan.
2. Buy peanut oil, instead of olive oil.
3. Wait until Moms home so she can help us.
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
What you need is a mandolin which is a slicer. You have to be very careful because you can get a nasty cut, but I have one I bought several years ago. Love it for slicing my cucumbers and onions when making bread and butter pickle. Also good for slicing zucchini and summer squash for a casserole. It makes the work of slicing much easier. Glad you enjoyed the chips after all that hard work. Love, Aunt Shirley
Sounds Yummy.
We would like the Recipe.
Sounds good. We are inspired to make some chips this week. We saw on the Food Network someone making sweet potato and beet chips seasoned with rosemary, salt and garlic. Sounds good.
They were delicious Hunter. I'm sorry for not writing sooner, I must have been distracted the first time I read this. I loved coming home to them.
Home made chips are always a treat. Try fried apple slices and plantains. It is great that you are having fun in the kitchen, it is an interest that will serve you well throughout your life.
also; when frying it is better to use a canola or vegetable oil instead of olive oil. The smoke point on Olive Oil is too low and you will not be able to get the oil up to 350 degrees for frying without filling you kitchen with a rancid smoke, it will also force you to throw the burnt oil out and start over, delaying the reward of eating your work.
ChefTom
Post a Comment